If you live in the village, particularly within the Conservation Area, and are contemplating property development work, you will hopefully engage the services of an experienced professional.

Architects will advise on the need for obtaining planning consent for major development, extensions, and such like – smaller scale work can often be carried out without the need for planning permission, subject to strict rules, but the requirements for boundary walls, fences, gates and similar minor work can catch us all out.

The Wirral planning website will direct you to the Government’s ‘Planning Portal’ and thence to the “Do You Need Permission” link:


This gives useful guidelines on what type of work needs consent and the relative requirements for Listed Buildings, houses in Conservation Areas and remaining properties.  Advice includes the rules on boundaries, window replacement, antennae and solar panels.  However, fencing and gates along road boundaries are some of the most misunderstood elements of the planning process.

The Society is always available to give householders advice in planning matters, and our opinion does carry weight with the planners.  Please feel free to get in touch with one of our planning sub-committee members if you have any issues or concerns to raise.